Topic: Charing Cross School Collapses

Topic type:

A familiar Malvern landmark, the Charing Cross School, collapsed recently in a nor-west wind.

A familiar Malvern landmark, the Charing Cross School, collapsed recently in a nor-west wind.


The old school, on the corner of Bealey Road and Wards Road, was opened in 1886 with 22 pupils with one teacher, and it remained a sole charge school throughout its history. The school closed in 1969, when Charinq Cross consolidated with Darfield Primary School.


The Charing Cross School roll fluctuated over the years, reaching as high as 23 in 1960, but had dropped to half that by 1963. The school has been used as a stable since it was closed.


Mr Peter Stott was the last chairman of the Charing Cross School, and was also a pupil there in the 1 930's. He is sad to see the school in its current state, but has many fond memories. He was at the school at the time of its 50th jubilee in 1936, and remembered a window being put in because the room was dark. He also remembered a rabbit proof fence being built and a new toilet block being put in to replace long drops. Mr Stott's four children all attended the school in the 1950's and 1960's.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
Charing Cross School Collapses by Selwyn Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License