Topic: St Stephen's Church, Lincoln

Topic type:

Opened 26 August 1877

IN THE BEGINNING

A township of Lincoln was marked on Captain Thomas's map of 1848 but it was situated at the "upper limit of the navigation" on the Selwyn River at approximately the position of Selwyn Huts. The name comes from the Earl of Lincoln who was one of the original members of the Canterbury Association. The land in the present township was subdivided about 1863 from some of the freehold land of Springs Station which was owned by James Edward Fitzgerald (1818-1896) who was the first Provincial Secretary of Canterbury from 1853 until 1857.

In 1857 Mr Percy Cox moved to Springs Station in partnership with Fitzgerald and when the latter went to England for health reasons in 1858, Cox managed the Station. He had been licensed as a lay reader by his father-in-law, the first Bishop of Christchurch (The Right Reverend Henry J.C. Harper), and he held weekly services at the Station. Bishop Harper recorded in his Journal for 1858: "Southern Visitation: 11 June, Friday. Started with at 1.15. Road bad beyond Riccarton. Dark as soon as we reached the Plains. Found our way, however, without much difficulty to Mr C. Percy Cox's Springs Station. Arrived there at 6.30. Evening Prayer: Messrs Cox, Draper, three men, one woman."

In December 1857, Bishop Harper held the first ordination in the Diocese and one of the ordinands was another of his sons, Henry William, who was appointed "Vicar of the Southern Stations". This was a missionary district lying between the Waimakariri and Rakaia Rivers and from the Southern Alps to Banks Peninsula, but excluding Christchurch and the surrounding districts. He lived at Malvern Hills Station, near Hororata,which he jointly managed with his brother George but it was owned by his father and Sir Thomas Tancred. The population of the whole parish was about 270 people and to conduct services in scattered homesteads he travelled across what Samuel Butler described as "the same monotonous plains, the same interminable tussock dotted with the same cabbage trees". Henry Harper is reported to have said in 1861 that "he had not been in a Church since his ordination". He managed to visit Springs Station about once a month to conduct a service. In 1864 he was sent to Britain to recruit clergy for service in the newly established parishes of New Zealand- Southbridge was separated from the Mission district in 1865 and the Reverend K.J.G. Bluett was recruited for the parish by Harper and paid £100 travel expenses by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.

BUILDING CHURCHES

By 1864 Bishop Harper had collected enough money to build a church on land at Burnham given by Mr Richard Bethell. The Church of All Saints was built to the design of the Bishop himself and it was situated on what is now Ashley Dene Farm and about three miles east of the present Burnhm settlement.

In 1865 the Parochial District of Burnham was formed, including Lincoln, Springston, Greenpark, Burnham, Selwyn, Dunsandel, Courtenay and Greendale. The first Curate of the District was the Reverend Frederick Pember who lived at Burnham till a Vicarage which had been built adjoining the Church. Pember visited Malvern every two months and is said to have conducted services at Willis's Hotel which was between Sheffield and Annat. He started monthly services in the Lincoln schoolroom on 11 April 1869.

In August 1869 the Reverend A.P. O'Callaghan arrived in the district and took up farming at Springs Station. He started weekly services with the assistance of Mr A.C. Knight, a licensed lay reader, who represented Lincoln on the Provincial Council from 1866 until 1876 and was Minister of Education for Canterbury from 1874 until 1876. Mr O'Callaghan was Vicar of Oxford and Cust from 1865 until 1868 when he resigned because of a weak throat and made a trip back to England. From 1881 until 1888 he was Member of the House of Representatives for Lincoln, although he ceased to be associated with the Church in May 1881.

Frederick Pember resigned in 1872 to become Vicar of Holy Trinity Church, Lyttelton, but Mr Knight and Mr O'Callaghan continued to hold services until the Reverend Harry Stocker arrived from England in the Langston in July 1873.

HARRY STOCKER AND CHURCH BUILDING

Harry Stocker graduated from Trinity College, Dublin, in 1867 and worked for five years in a parish in Ireland before moving to New Zealand. He conducted his first service at Lincoln in the schoolroom on 3 August 1873. He subsequently had an average congregation of 30 with 8 communicants, but his parish boundaries still reached to Greendale. On 22 September 1873 a private meeting was held at Springston with Mr Stocker in the chair to consider the building of a church. Subscriptions and donations soon came in and St Mary's Church, Springston, was opened on 29 March 1875.

On 26 October 1875 the boundaries of the parochial district were altered by Synod making Greendale part of Malvern Parish and the name was changed to the Parochial District of Lincoln and Springston. A year later a meeting was held in the schoolroom at Tai Tapu to consider the building of a church; Harry Stocker was again in the chair; subscriptions were forthcoming and on 11 September 1876 a special service was held on the site to celebrate the commencement of building. St Paul's Church, Tai Tapu, was opened on 16 November 1876. Both St Mary's and St Paul's were designed by Mr Frederick Stroutts (1835-1919), a Christchurch architect who later designed some of the original buildings at Lincoln College.

CHURCH BUILDING IN LINCOLN

The first church built at Lincoln was the original Presbyterian Church which was erected in 1862 and finally demolished in 1963. The present Union Parish Church was started in 1881 and opened the following year. The Baptist Chapel was opened in 1876 and parts of the original building can be seen in the present Baptist Church in Gerald Street. In 1873 there were 90 scholars on the roll of the Baptist Sunday School and 13 teachers. Roman Catholic services were held in Mr P. Henley's house on Springs Track prior to 1870 when Father Chervier took up residence in the District. A Church was built at Shands Track about 1872 and also a school was opened.

One week after the opening of St Paul's Church at Tai Tapu, a meeting was held in the Lincoln Library at which it was decided to call subscriptions for the building of an Anglican Church in Lincoln. This was to be erected on land given for a Church by J.E. Fitzgerlad when he subdivided the township.

ince that time considerable development had taken place in the area, especially following the opening of the railway to Southbridge in July 1875. The proposed church was to be built of wood on concrete foundations and Mr Thomas Cane was invited to draw a plan. As Provincial Architect, he was unable to accept private work but instead suggested Mr B.W. Mountfort who had supervised the building of the nave of Christchurch Cathedral from the plans of Mr George Gilbert Scott. Mountfort had arrived with the First Four Ships but his first attempt at ecclesiastical architecture in New Zealand was not a success. Holy Trinity Church, Lyttelton, was built in 1853 with a timber frame enclosing brick panels. The timber framing shrank, the building was declared unsafe and demolished in 1857.

However, in 1870, he designed the present building for the Canterbury Museum and he produced a plan for a meeting of the building committee held on 11 January 1877. Two other plans were submitted, one from Mr J. Stanley Bruce who offered to supervise the building of the Church as a "present to the District" and another from Mr Hubbard. Mountfort's plan was accepted and tenders were called for its construction. Messrs Grieg Brothers' tender for £407 exclusive of seating was accepted.

The church was constructed of totara from Little River and originally consisted of a nave 40 feet long and 21 feet wide with an apsidal chancel 16 feet by 9 feet. The walls were lined to the sills and plastered and painted salmon pink to the wall plates. The seats, according to the New Zealand Church News for September 1877, were "very substantial and church-like". In May 1877 a 4 foot ditch and 2 foot sod wall was constructed around the church section and traces of it can still be seen on the James Street frontage. Mr H. Meyenberg was asked to "put up posts and rails in the Church section and that all horses be tied there". As far as furnishings were concerned, the architect designed the prayer desk and lectern, while the Reverend A.P. O'Callaghan ordered furnishings for the Vestry and a cover for the Communion Table.

On 24 August 1877, a tea and concert in aid of Church Funds was held in the Schoolroom. The ladies provided a tray, although Mrs White gave £2 in lieu and Mrs McPherson, "a Presbyterian with great kindness, made a tray for Mrs A.P. O'Callaghan" whose house had been burned down the previous night. The Springston Choir attended and Mrs Stocker played the harmonium. A total of £37.15.6 was collected.

On the Thirteenth Sunday after Trinity (26 August 1877), the Primate of New Zealand (Bishop H.J.C. Harper) opened the Church. The prayers were read by the Reverend H. Stocker, the lessons by A. P. O'Callaghan and the Bishop used as his text 1 Peter ii 9: But you are a chosen generation a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people, that ye should show forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

"The choral part of the service reflected great credit on the choir and showed that it must have been the result of a large amount of practice."

FURNISHINGS

During 1878 the seating was rearranged, lamps were installed, the grounds were ploughed by Messrs Wright and Bell, and shingle was put down at the gate. The grounds were planted by Harry Stocker and A. P. O'Callaghan. In the same year it was agreed to sell the old harmonium and buy a new American organ for £68.5. which was first used on 29 September 1878. Mr Gates was appointed organist at a salary of £20 per annum "subject to one month's notice". In 1879, the ladies of the parish made cushions for the altar rail. At the Vestry meeting on 30 April 1879, the Reverend Harry Stocker resigned as Curate and was appointed to Akaroa, apparently as a result of the indifferent health of his wife. It is interesting to note that he died in 1922 at the age of 82 years and his wife died six months later. He apparently had great physical strength because it was said that one night he was called "to attend a man who was dying by the Lake Flat. Mr Yarr then rode on to fetch the doctor and, though he and the doctor were on horseback, Mr Stocker, who was walking, got there first."

The Reverend Walter Dunkley was appointed to Lincoln and by September 1879 the Vestry was able to prove that five-sixths of the cost of the Church had been paid and it could, therefore, be consecrated. However, first a carpenter was engaged "to put fillets round the Church and stop the draughts" before the Bishop came on Tuesday, 9 September. There was a "full Choral service" attended by the Springston and Prebbleton Choirs. The Reverend Harry Stocker came from Akaroa, as well as the Reverend W. Pascoe from Prebbleton, A.P. O'Callaghan and the Reverend W. Dunkley. At the evening service, the Church was "crowded to excess"; Harry Stocker preached on the Martyrdom of St Stephen and a collection of £1.2.5 was taken for the Building Fund.

In 1880, a combined meeting of the Parishioners wrote to the Bishop requesting that the Reverend Harry Stocker should be reappointed to Lincoln on the sudden departure of Walter Dunkley but the Bishop did not act on this letter. Possibly as a result of uncertain leadership, the congregation fell in numbers and the collections decreased. It was decided to reduce the salary of the organist to £15 per annum, the Lincoln Agricultural College was requested to make a donation towards Church funds but by October 1880 there were liabilities of £18.9.5 and assets of £2.1.7. The Vicar's Warden read a statement at Evensong "setting forth the financial position and asking for increased giving". On 15 May 1881 it is recorded that the collection contained 30 coins made up as follows:1 penny, 8 shillings, 9 sixpences, 13 threepences, 2 fourpences, 30 coins to the total value of 13/6
However, collections improved and by 1883 altar vessels costing £25 were purchased. Mr W. Bartram gave a totara reredos to the Church which was accepted with thanks and the ladies of the parish chose the colour and design of the panels which were embroidered under the supervision of Mrs Scott from the district. The grounds were planted with trees and the wardens were instructed to "make arrangements to keep the Church in cleaner and better order". In 1884, it was decided to buy a bell for not more than £25 but it had to have a note "as near that of St Michael's".

FURTHER BUILDING

In May 1885 a special meeting of Parishioners was held to consider a motion proposed by Mr W. Ivey (Director of the Agricultural College) "that it is desirable to enlarge the Church". This motion was carried unanimously and the extension was to be in the form of transepts to seat an extra 105 people. Mr Mountfort was again the architect and the lowest tender from Messrs Forbes was accepted. It was for £226, plus £24 for the transept seats, and £13 for the division seats. The extension was opened on 25 March 1886 and after the morning service there was a luncheon "provided by the ladies". In the evening there was a Harvest Festival with a sermon preached by the Reverend Croasdaile Bowen, Vicar of St Peter's Church, Riccarton, and extra seating had to be borrowed from the Presbyterian Church. In 1899 the building was reroofed, the minutes record that part of it was done by voluntary labour at a cost of £33, but therp is no mention of how or when the job was completed.

The present Church building is almost identical with that of 1886, apart from the outside walls which were covered with roughcast in 1959 so hiding the original vertical weatherboard. The bell was removed from the belfry in 1968 and re-erected next.

 THE ORGAN

In 1906 the Vicar's warden, Mr J.G. Fiecken, wrote to Mr Andrew Carnegie asking for a grant to purchase a new organ. At the same time an organ fund was established and the Parochial Association managed to collect £35 in two years. There were also some difficulties in obtaining the services of a salaried organist so the Vestry decided to rely on volunteer organists and to pay £12 per annum into the Organ Fund.

On 1 October 1907 the following letter was read to the Vestry:
Ski-bo Castle, Dornock, SUTHERLAND.
S August 1907
John G. Fieaken, Esq.,
St Stephen's Church of England,
Lincoln,
Canterbury,
NEW ZEALAND.
Dear Sir,
Responding to your appeal, Mr Carnegie will be glad to give the last half of the cost of an organ for your church at the prise of one hundred and fifty pounds sterling when the first half has been collected by the congregation and the payment of the organ becomes due.

Respectfully yours,

James Bertram P. Secretary

The meeting resolved to purchase an organ from Mr N.T. Pearce of Christchurch but he suggested the addition of an extra stop (wald flute), making the cost £200 sterling. Dr F.W. Hilgendorf resolved to raise the money for the modification. In August 1908 the organ was ready for installation and it was decided to move the pulpit to the south side and install the organ in the middle of the north transept. Mr A. Cookson gave the organ stool, Mrs Jasper Smyth gave a carved Hymn Board and the Vicar gave the numbers. The organ was dedicated by the Bishop of Christchurch on Friday, 4 September 1908, and the total cost was £206. Mr Cookson was organist from 1908 until his death in 1912. The electric blower for the organ was installed in 1923.

LIGHTING AND HEATING

Paraffin lamps were installed in 1878 but in 1914 it was decided to install an acetylene generator supplying 15 lamps in the Church. Mr Jennings, who had been caretaker, vestryman, church warden and general stalwart for 40 years, supervised the supply of gas during the service as a "labour of love". In 1916 the Vestry declined an offer by the Tai Tapu Dairy Company to install electric light for the sum of fifteen guineas. At Christmas 1917 the acetylene generator was sold for £10 and this was sufficient to install electric lighting. Kerosene heaters were given to the Church by the Parochial Association in 1905 but the first electric heaters were installed in 1934. In a parish magazine of 1936 the Vicar remarked that "in spite of a heavy overcoat, he felt the cold a great deal" while sitting in the Church during a Mission Service. In the early 1960's, some rewiring was carried out and infra-red heaters were installed on the north and south walls. The Annual meeting of Parishioners in 1976 decided that the Church was still too cold and installed two fan heaters near the west end.

SUNDAY SCHOOL

Sunday school was first started on 18 November 1877 with 35 children on the roll and 5 teachers. Originally the classes were held in the Church - starting about 15 minutes before the Service. In 1883 some enquiries were made with the Church Property Trustees about obtaining a grant to build a hall. "he reply was that they could not make a grant but they could make a loan at 12% interest per annum. This offer was declined and the meetings continued in the Church.

About 1902 there was a suggestion that a building at Tai Tapu should be bought and transported to Lincoln for use as a Parish room. The scheme fell through for lack of support. In 1935 the vestry took over the use and upkeep of the Pioneer Hall in Lincoln and it was used as a Sunday School and Parish meeting place. In 1960 it was proposed moving the Hall to the Church grounds but this idea was abandoned because of cost and also because it was felt that the building would look out of place next to the Church.

In 1963 the Vestry decided that they could build a Sunday School Hall with volunteer labour and some professional assistance. Funds were collected, work started in June 1964 and the Hall was dedicated by the Bishop of Christchurch (the Right Reverend A.K. Warren) on 12 September 1965. The total cost was £2,513 but a Government grant of £806 was given towards the cost. The Pioneer Hall was taken over in 1967 by the Lincoln Pioneer and Early Settlers' Association to be established as a museum.

THE VICARAGE

The Vicarage is the responsibility of the Central Vestry but for most of the past century the Vicar had lived at Lincoln. A Vicarage was built at Burnham and Frederick Pember lived there. Harry Stocker spent about two years at Burnham Vicarage but on 18 May 1875 a meeting was held in the Schoolroom at Lincoln to consider finding a house in Lincoln "otherwise they would stand a chance of losing Mr Stocker altogether". A house was rented from Mr F.C. Pyne and the Stocker's moved there in August 1875 because Mrs Stocker had been advised by doctors to move from Burnham. The meeting decided to call for subscriptions for building a Vicarage and £85.10.- was collected that evening. The building at Burnham stood until about 1913 when it was sold by Lincoln College for £20. It should be mentioned here that All Saints Church was moved to its present site at Burnham Camp in 1903 and in 1909 the land, including the cemetery, was sold to Lincoln College for £100.

In September the Parish bought a 5 acre section from Mrs Richard Wright for £100. The Vicarage was built on this section which was on the Lincoln to Springston Road and the Stockers took up residence in the new building in August 1876. The building is still standing as "The Gables" but in 1929 a motion to sell it was defeated by a special meeting of Parishioners. By 1935 it was felt that the "seven-roomed house (one room, however, being very small), fitted with hot and cold water, built in copper and electric light" was not altogether suitable and "past its prime". It was, therefore, agreed to sell it and build a more convenience residence.

In 1937 the Vicar moved to a house at Tai Tapu which had been given to St Paul's by Sir Heaton Rhodes but the Central Vestry had to pay rent for it. In 1953 the rent was increased to £100 per annum and it was then felt that it would be more sensible to pay off a mortgage rather than pay rent. It was unanimously agreed "to proceed with the erection of a Vicarage at Lincoln as early as possible and to invite forthwith voluntary contributions towards the cost of the same". Miss Daisy Gray, who was organist for 48 years, gave a quarter acre section adjacent to the proposed site and by August 1954 £958.8.4 had been collected out of the target of £1,300. Mr D. Hubbard was awarded the contract to build the Vicarage at a cost of £5,249 and the building was dedicated on 15 September 1956 by the Bishop of Christchurch who spoke of the need for more Christian homes in the country. In April 1977 some alterations were made to the house and an extra room was built on as a study at a cost of $6,500.

THE MAGAZINE

The need for printed communication within the various parts of the Diocese was recognised in September 1870 with the publication of the New Zealand Church News. This was a monthly publication containing local and national news, as well as articles of general interest. In 1911 the name was shortened to Church News and publication continued until 1947 when Christchurch subscribed to Church and People which finally ceased publication in 1976.

A printed circular was distributed to all people in the Parish in October 1880 "asking for co-operation and support by contributions" but the first Church Magazine was published in December 1913. The Reverend F.B. Redgrave started the magazine which contained the following explanation:

From the Magazine :

My Dear Readers,

This is to introduce myself to you. I am going to visit you each month in your homes and I hope you will very soon look forward to my coming and will welcome me as an old friend. I may not be much to look at but remember the best friends are often the least attractive in appearance ...

Publication has continued until the present but there have been four changes of name:
The Church Magazine 1913-1936
The Lincoln Parochial District Church Magazine 1937-1954
The Lincoln Churchman 1955-1968
Parish News 1969-1971
Lincoln Parish News 1971 to date

The method of printing was changed from letterpress to offset lithography in 1969 so that pictures and drawings could be more easily incorporated. A volume was jumped between July and August 1919 from VI to VII and between November and December 1967 the issues jumped from XLIV to LXIV. The present volume is erroneously number 74 rather than 53.

Although most issues from 1913 until 1942 are in the Parish records, there are only a few issues from January 1943 until April 1953 but from that date onwards there is a complete collection. Since the first issue the Parish has been very grateful for the support of advertisers who have enabled the magazine to be distributed to all parishioners.

PAROCHIAL ASSOCATION AND THE LADIES COMMITTEE

The Parochial Assocation was formed in 1900 with the aim of getting Parishioners to contribute sixpence per month "into a common fund for repairs and adornments of the Church and other purposes". The Pulpit was provided by the Association but the carved panels were the gift of Mr Fiecken. Mention has been made of the contributions made towards the organ and in 1914 money was given towards the cost of the acetylene lighting plant. The Ladies Committee was formed in 1947 to continue the support given by the Parochial Association and they were responsible for organising the Church cleaning, as well as for maintaining the Pioneer Hall. Kneelers were made and in 1959 the Committee provided the Curtain in the Sanctuary which was required when the original reredos had to be disposed of because of severe borer damage.

SERVICES

The first marriage to be held in the Church was on 16 August 1877 between James Stanley Bruce, civil engineer (who had offered a design for the Church), and Annie Louisa Wright, age 17 years (whose father was the first Church warden). It would also appear from the Registers that Baptisms were performed in the Church before its official opening. The Registers also give a sad picture of the high infant mortality rate that occurred until the beginning of the present century.

Any reading of the records and magazines shows the changes that have taken place in church life over recent years. The formality of everyday life of the Victorian era was reflected in the formal services of Mattins and Evensong which were held weekly in the early days. Holy Communion services were held infrequently and few people took Communion. Great emphasis was placed on sermons and these in turn had much to say about morality and Christian behaviour. 31 December 1899 was the First Sunday after Christmas and the services that day were conducted by Mr C. Percy Cox who, about forty years previously, had planted the first seeds of the Church in Lincoln. His sermon at Mattins was on "The Life of the Spirit".

This outline history of the Church has shown that over the past one hundred years, St Stephen's has been built, furnished and used as the centre of Anglican worship in Lincoln. However, the Church consists of people and not buildings; its strength cannot be measured in the materialist terms of growth and success. People give the Church its life but their life in turn springs from the bountiful goodness of God. We must make the wonderful message of Jesus Christ known to all the world,not only by our words but also through our actions. Whilst maintaining the physical building of the Church, we must also concentrate our activities on building a living body of Christians in the community. Let us not fall into the pattern of those who only lay up for themselves treasures on earth.

In our Centennial year let us pray for God's guidance for the future so that we may follow the early Apostles: "And every day in the temple and people's homes, they continued to teach and preach the Good News about Jesus the Messiah. "

VICARS OF THE DISTRICT

MISSION DISTRICT OF THE SOUTHERN STATIONS

Reverend H.W. Harper 1857-1864

PAROCHIAL DISTRICT OF BURNHAM

Reverend F. Pember Reverend H. Stocker 1865-1872 1873-1875

PAROCHIAL DISTRICT OF LINCOLN AND SPRINGSTON

Reverend H. Stocker 1875-1879
Reverend W. Dunkley loawn 1879-1880
Reverend J.F. Teakle 1880-1886
Reverend A.R.D. Tosswill 1886-1888
Reverend H.G. Gould 1888-1890
Reverend J.F. Teakle 1890-1892
Reverend E.R. Otway 1892-1896 (died at Lincoln)
Reverend H. Northcote 1896-1902
Reverend R.J. Thorpe loawn 1899
Reverend T.J. Smyth 1902-1913
Reverend F . B . Redgrave 1913-1917
Reverend H.A. Wilkinson 1917-1921
Reverend P. Carrington 1921-1923
Reverend C.L. Wilson 1923-1928
Reverend A.H. McC. Acheson 1928-1934
Reverend T.M. Curnow 1934-1936
Reverend C.L. Sparrow 1936-1952
Reverend A.S. Moffat locum 1937
Reverend P.H. Pritchett loawn 1937
Reverend A.H. Barnett locum 1952
Reverend R.O. Williams 1953-1956
Reverend M.S. Betteridge 1956-1959
Reverend H.W. Funnell loawn 1957-1958
Reverend R.E. Coulthard 1959-1966
Reverend L.A. Barnes Toawn 1967
Reverend C.W. Parry- Jennings 1967-1972
Canon R.P. Andrews loawn 1972-1973
Reverend R. Roberton 1973-

 LIST OF CHURCH WARDENS AT ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH, LINCOLN

VICAR'S WARDEN
R. Wright
1876 -1878 F.C. Murray
1879 W. Ivey
1880-1881 G. Bishop
1882 J. Bell
1883 & 1884 T. Townshend
1885 -1889 F.C. Murray
1890 - 1896  G. Gray
1897 - 1900  W.G. Jennings
1901-1903  A. Cookson
1904 W. Stoddart
1905 -1909 J.G. Fiecken
1910 W. Street                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           1911 J. A. Bartram
1912
1913 W. Street
1914 W. H. Cropp
1915 & 1916 J. G. Fiecken
1917 & 1918 A. R. Jarman
1919 - 1929  J. Oddy
1930 & 1931 Dr E.J. Cooke
1932 H. A. Kimber
1933 - 1936 R. H.G. Stoddart
1937 - 1942 J. A. Benny
1943 - 1956 R. H.G. Stoddart
1957 - 1961 Capt. A.A. Barwick
1962 - 1977 A.H. Button

PEOPLE'S WARDEN

H. Moffatt
1876 R. Wright
1877 -1879 E. Townshend
1880 & 1881 J.C. Revell
1882 & 1883 E. Townshend
1884 F.C. Murray
1885 T. Townshend
1886 - 1889 W. Ivey (resigned 21.11.89 - Mr Bartram)
1890 Dr Westenra
1890 Dr Westenra (left Feb. 1892 - S.H. Murray)
1891 S.H. Murray
1892 - 1899 W. Bartram
1900  A. Cookson
1901-1902 C.T. Restall
1903 W. Bartram
1904 - 1910 W.G. Jennings  (resigned - W. Bartram)
1911-1917 W. Bartram
1918 - 1920 Dr F.W. Hilgendorf
1921 & 1922 A.J.R. Smither
1923 - 1927 Dr F.W. Hilgendorf
1928 & 1929 A.J.R. Smither
1930 -1934 Dr F.W. Hilgendorf
1935 - 1937 A.O. Larcombe
1938 - 1951 A. E. Payne                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           1952 - 1962 Prof. I.E.Coop                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              1963 - 1966  Prof. R.H.M.  Langer                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          1967 - 1970 Dr R.P. Pottinger
1971 A.R. Gordon
1972 - 1975 P.A.J. Aitken
1976 Dr J.A.R. Fountain
1977 P.A. McCartney

 Source: Saint Stephens Church, Lincoln, Historical Notes. Compiled by John Holmes Published 1977

                                                                           

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 


 

 

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags