Topic: Lincoln College

Topic type:

Opened on 19 July 1880 as the School of Agriculture at Lincoln.

1878:28 March, William Edward Ivey appointed Director of School of Agriculture at Lincoln.
1878: 26 July, contract let for construction of Ivey Hall.
1880: 19 July, School of Agriculture at Lincoln opened. Sixteen students on roll - 13 from Canterbury, 2 from Otago, 1 from Nelson. First enrolment, Harry Arthur Knight. Fees 40 pounds p.a. Course three years.
1882: Ivey reports on trials of introduced plants, including wheats. These probably NZ's first formal agricultural experiments.
1882: First "International" student enrolled.
1888: Government Commission of Inquiry into School of Agriculture at Lincoln gazetted. Inquiring into whether School is "managed so as to answer to the fullest extent the purposes for which it was established ... (and) ... generally to make recommendations regarding the future good government of the institution."
1889: Commission's Report recommends changes including replacing Board of Governors with Board of Agriculture; more experimental work and wider dissemination of results; introduction of a scholarship system. Report concluded that with change the school would "soon be rendered of inestimable value to the whole colony".                                                                                                                                                                                                      1891: University of NZ approved granting of Certificates in Agriculture to those attending Lincoln and passing necessary examinations.
1892:18April, Director William Edward Ivey, aged 54, collapses and dies while running to meet coach for a Board meeting in Christchurch.
1893: John Bayne MA, appointed new Director. Starts 1894.
1896: Canterbury College and Canterbury Agricultural College Act separates School of Agriculture from Canterbury College. School renamed "Canterbury Agricultural College".
1896: University of NZ institutes degree of BSc (Agriculture). Lincoln thus becomes first college in Southern Hemisphere with course leading to a degree in agriculture.
1899: FW Hilgendorf joins the staff. Outstanding naturalist, researcher, pioneer plant breeder, founder and first director of Wheat Research Institute.
End of century: Roll falling, (down from 44 to 22 over 1896-1900), morale in decline, discipline a problem. College described as in state
"tantamount to disaster and  disintegration". Bayne under  pressure to rectify situation.                                                                                                          1901: Bayne resigns as Director. William Lowrie BA, BSc, Principal of Roseworthy Agricultural College, South Australia, appointed new Director. Aged 43. New regime of discipline and order and "healthy happy tone" established.
1905: College's "Gold Medal" award for top student instituted. Exists through to today.
1905: The degree BSc (Agriculture) instituted by University of New Zealand in 1896 had produced no graduates and was amended to Bachelor of Agriculture.
1908: Lowrie departs to become Director-General of Agriculture in Western Australia. Lowrie era at Lincoln described as making College a "credit to the country" and filling it with new spirit.
1909: Robert Edward Alexander appointed Director. Aged 35.
1909: Ashley Dene Farm, light land property, seven miles west of the campus, purchased.                                                                                                    1911: War clouds. General Godley, Commander in Chief of NZ Forces visits College and  suggests formation of student unit forTerritorial Army.
1912: Lord Islington, Governor of New Zealand, visits College and describes it as one of mainstays of Dominion's progress, with system of agricultural education better than any college he had seen anywhere.
1914: Outbreak of First World War. Total of 222 students or old students served during the war; 55 did not return.                                                                  1916: Domestic wing  extensions to south-east corner of Ivey Hall.
1917: Ashley Dene homestead built.
1918: First Education Department bursars arrived to take combined diploma and BAg  course, graduating into professional employment as the
country's first agriculture teachers in secondary schools or as education board instructors.
1919: First Government grant  for research received. All previous investigation work  financed entirely from College funds.                                        

1920: College's Corriedale flock founded with a gift of 20 ewes fromCH EnsorofWhiterock.
1922: Dr FW Hilgendorf began work on pasture grass selection and breeding. Later assisted by JW Calder and C23 cocksfoot produced.
1923: October, foundation stone laid for Memorial Hall.
1924: Memorial Hall opened. Built with funds from appeal among old students for memorial to those who served and died in First World War.
1927: Wheat Research Institute of New Zealand established on campus. FW Hilgendorf first director.
1929: McCaskill Building opened. Originally known as the "Laboratories". Architect EH England. First dedicated university agricultural science building builtin New Zealand.
1929: First Government grant received for extending teaching services at the College.                                                                                                             1930: 21 July, Governor-General Lord Bledisloe visits College. Presents gold medal for annual award - the Bledisloe Medal.
1935: Diploma in Valuation and Farm Management course established. First intake 1938.
1936: Departure of Professor RE Alexander as College Director after 26 years of service.
1936: August, announcement of appointment of new Director, Eric Raymond Hudson, aged 41 and Australian-born.
1937: NZ School of Agriculture Act defines connection between University of New Zealand and country's two agricultural colleges - Canterbury and Massey. "School" concept failed to harmonise ambitions of CAC and Massey but impelled each to develop with greater speed than would otherwise have happened. Modern period of growth at Canterbury Agricultural College dates from this time.
1939: September 3, Second World War starts. The College's most famous soldier son, Charles Hazlitt Upham, later decorated VC and Bar, enters Burnham Military Camp.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              1940: First Rhodes Scholar, HE Garrett.
1940-42: Enrolments plummet due to war service but pick up from 1943 onwards as demobilised men start returning.
1945: War service overseas of old students had been: Navy 14, FleetAir Arm 2, Air Force 58, Army 153; commissioned officers 82; decorations 22; died on active service 40.
1945: Emergence of "department" system for organising subject areas, each headed by a senior lecturer. Previously academic staff grouped under subject title of lectureships.
1944: Startof Intensive Courses. 1944: Firstwomen students (2) enter College.
1946: College academic staff constitute themselves as Lincoln College Teachers' Association, and affiliate with national body.
1948: First woman to graduate. Mary Fairmaid of Greymouth, BAgrSc.
1949: War memorial plaques unveiled in Memorial Hall by Governor-General Lord Freyberg.                                                                                               1951: School of Agriculture Act repealed, removing "one school" umbrella from over Massey and Lincoln.
1951: 9 October, Professor Hudson tenders resignation as Director. Departure date August 1952. Retired prematurely on a point of principle. His services to education and agriculture acknowledged publicly with award of CBE in 1952 presented in person by the Queen.
1952: 1 October Dr Malcolm McRae Burns takes up position as Principal, aged 42. College in good health but still small - only 128 full-time enrolments (but over 400 coming and going on short courses). Principal becomes for first time a national figure, a leader in agricultural, educational and scientific thinking. Burns receives CBE within seven years and is knighted in 1972.
1957: 5 November, foundation stone laid for George Forbes Memorial Library. This the official national memorial to  Prime Minister George Forbes (PM 1930-35).
1958:Enrolments total 338 full time students.                                                                                                                                                                                     1960: Tussock Grasslands and Mountain Lands Institute established at Lincoln College. Lance McCaskill director.
1960: 11 August, George Forbes Memorial Library opens. College's first ever official purpose-built library. Houses 25,000 volumes initially.
1961: Lincoln College Act 1961 -"There shall be a constituent college of the University of Canterbury, a University College of Agriculture, to be called Lincoln College". Thus name Canterbury AgriculturalCollege ceases and "Lincoln College" long in use, becomes official.
1962: Roll 350 full-time students. Period of expansion in tertiary enrolments starts as postwar "baby-boomer" generation reaches school-leaving age.
1962: Agricultural Economics Research Unit established. Professor Bryan Philpott first director.
1963: NZ Agricultural Engineering Institute
established.
1966: Foundation Chair in Horticulture filled by Professor Tom Morrison.
1968: Roll totals 890 full-time students.
1968: Governor-General Sir Arthur Porritt opens Hilgendorf Wing.                                                                                                                                                 1971: Gillespie Hall opened.
1974: Foundation Chair in Agricultural Microbiology established.
1974: Specialist careersadvisory position established.
1974: Sir Malcolm Burns retires as Principal.
1974: 1 April, Professor James Stewart, Head of Farm Management Department, new Principal.
1976: Burns Wing opened.
1976: Long-serving Registrar (27 years) Gordon Hunt retires.
1977:4 March, Queen Elizabeth II & Duke of Edinburgh visit campus.
1978: Lincoln College marks its centenary. Lincoln College Foundation, now Lincoln University Foundation established with funds raised to mark centennial. Roll at timeof centennial, 1344.
1979: Start of Lincoln's Kellogg Rural Leadership Programme.                                                                                                                                                     1983: Principal Sir James Stewart retires.
1985: Professor Bruce Ross returns from OECD to take up appointment as Principal. Professor Reinhart Langer had been Acting-Principal in interim.
1986: August, start of conversion of Ivey Hall into Library.
1988: October, new Ivey Hall library opens for use.
1988: Lincoln establishes New Zealand'sfirstchairin realestate studies. Dr John Baen appointed professor.
1988: Hawke Report on Post-Compulsory Education and Trainingin New Zealand endorses concept of autonomous university status for Lincoln College.
1989:24 February, Deputy Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer announces Government will recognise Lincoln as autonomous university from 1990.
1989:24February, new Ivey Hall library officially opened by Deputy Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer.
1989: June, Lincoln College molecular biologists produce New Zealand's first transgenic animal.
1989: Enrolments reach 2000 for first time.                                                                                                                                                                                          1990: Lincoln College becomes Lincoln University.
1990: Official opening of Stewart Building.
1991:Transgenicteam produce New Zealand's first genetically engineered sheep, "Alexander".
1991: Centre for Maori Studies & Research established.
1993: Sir Allan Wright, first Chancellor retires.
1994: Lincoln signs agreement for New Zealand's first off-shore teaching of a university degree.
1995: Enrolments reach 4000 for first time.
1996 August, Professor Bruce Ross leaves to become Director-General of Agriculture.
1997: March, Dr Frank Wood starts as Vice-Chancellor.
1998: Departments replaced with "Schools" and "Divisions". 1998: January, Lincoln campus venue for final round of Bougainville Peace Talks.
1999: Lincoln pioneers Sports Scholar programme.
1999: Kowhai Farm, a collaboration with Heinz Watties, opened.
2001: First milking at University's new dairy farm. Opening of South Island Dairying Development Centre.
2002: November, Lincoln University awarded Government funding to establish Centre of Research Excellence (CoRE).

Source: OutLook, October 2003, Celebrating 125 Years, pp23&23

Discuss This Topic

There are 2 comments in this discussion.

Read and join this discussion

join this discussion