Ellesmere District School Committee

Original Filename: SON1009_1899_The_Ellesmere_District_School_Committee_P6240085.jpg (view)

Original Size: 2.2 MB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

Ellesmere District School Committee.

Caption

The Committee Back row.- Messrs Collins, Mr R. Williams (Master), Mt Tunner. Front row.- Messrs. Gallagher, W. Chamberlain (Chairman), T. Blay.

The Ellesmere District School opened on December 31st 1898. The locality of Ellesmere, after which the school took its name, is situated south west of Springston. Mr W. Chamberlain, chairman of the school committee, gave one acre for the purpose of a school and an additional half acre for a teacher's residence. He had made repeated applications to the Board of Education before the school was granted.
Related information: See also p. 43 in same issue.
31 Dec. 1898  W. H. Yates (photographer)
Source: The weekly press, 25 Jan. 1899, p. 8

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
Ellesmere District School Committee by Selwyn Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License