Topic: Weedons School

Topic type:

9 November 1871-

Weedons School, for primary and intermediate pupils, will celebrate its centennary between September 3 and 5 although the school does not officially turn 100 until November 9.

Situated 13 miles south west of Christchurch, the original school was built in 1871 at a cost of $272, and was staffed by a headmaster  (Mr William Christie) and one assistant (Miss Mary Swerbruck). The first school house was built in 1877 and was demolished in 1924; the second, which is still in use, was moved intact from the Showgrounds, where it had been an exhibition house. 

Last year the school won notice by winning the MacFarlane Shield. This is awarded to the school which has made the most progress in agricultural activities, particularly participation by the pupils in improving  the school grounds. 

In 1962, the old school building was demolished and a new one built onto an existing prefabricated class room. At present the school has between 80 and 90 pupils and is staffed by the headmaster, Mr R. Dawson, and  two other teachers. 

Centennial celebrations will  begin with a ball on September 3, at the league club hall, Hornby; a banquet on the Saturday afternoon at the  school grounds; and a church parade at the Weedons Methodist Church the next day.  Mr R. Monk, the treasurer  of the jubilee committee, said that about 150 to 200 former pupils and friends of the school were expected at the celebrations.

The photographs show the original school building, erected in 1871, and the classrooms that replaced It in 1962

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion