Topic: Weedons: Main's Halfway House

Topic type:

Main's Halfway House, Weedons ca. 1865.

This accommodation house was the first stopping place from Christchurch for Cobb & Co's line of coaches.

It was built on the Main South Road by James Main (1810-1873) about 1860 and was taken over by William Weeden in 1862. He was also the area's first postmaster. At this time the inn had thirteen rooms with stables for horses and yards for stock. (The location was named, with a change of spelling, after William Weeden, a pioneer hotelkeeper)

Courtesy of Christchurch City Libraries File Reference: CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0058

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
Weedons: Main's Halfway House by Selwyn Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License